Saturday, October 01, 2005

Ginormous Coat


Pattern: Sweater Wizard
Yarn: Wensleydale and Wildwood
Needles: I don't remember, but I think an 8 or 9
Modifications: Many. I am not a sweater wizard lover. It's a nice tool, but the math can be screwy.
Comments:This was an idea hatched by a designer working for Webs who wanted a long coat, like those awesome ones in the Italian magazines, with the 6'6" models with the blonde hair all piled up on their heads, and their big long coat all swooshing out around them. I, being always game for just about anything, agreed to knit it up for her, modifying as I went. Once completed I wanted nothing but to felt it. It took forever to knit up, was a monster, and the retail cost for the yarn would have been nearly $400. Before felting it hung like a sack, would not hold it's shape due to the enormous weight of the yarn. It weighted about a million pounds, and I was sampling it in August. It was like having a damp multi-hued goat on my lap all summer. Uggh. In the end, it was felted, and it not horriffic. A lot of people showed an interest in the thing, but as the Wensleydale is now gone, and the garment itself would have been remarkably unmarketable with that price point, it's not available. Be grateful. It was truly a monster to knit.

No comments: